Friday, February 29, 2008

Cupcakes again!

I have had cupcake fever lately - and there's only more to come!
The rest of this term is devoted to round one of cupcakes, seeing what works and
seeing what doesn't. Here are three recipes I've tried so far:





The recipe was called "White chocolate-filled chocolate cupcakes". There wasn't even half enough filling to frost the top, so I whipped up some buttercream really quick, but it overpowered the cupcake. I enjoyed the chocolate buttercream, but next time I plan to make more filling and just put a little on top.


Cupcake #2: Hi-Hats!





I really wanted to make these because they looked a. delicious and b. like chocolate-dipped cones from mcdonald's - my favorite! These are chocolate cupcakes made with sour cream (moist!) and a marshmallow buttercream (the first buttercream I've liked) with a semi-sweet chocolate coating. The original recipe called for a meringue topping, but I don't like the taste so I changed it to marshmallow. I LOVED THESE! They are almost too rich, so next time I'll use a milk chocolate coating and they should be perfect!


Cupcake #3: Pink Lemonadies!






I was really excited to make this cupcake, and it turned out pretty well. They didn't rise as much as I thought they would, so next time I'll fill the cup more so the cake/frosting ratio is even. The pink lemonade buttercream was really good, but a little too sweet. Next time - less sugar! The tang from the lemon's I decided to squeeze in at the last minute worked well, and provided a nice tang to offset the sweetness of the frosting. I topped them with candied lemon zest - yum!


One thing I know is I need to work on my buttercream! More pictures to come soon!

No comments: